The policy covers educational provision leading to award of credits/qualifications which is delivered and/or supported and/or assessed through means which generally do not require the student to attend particular classes or events at particular times and particular locations. This includes practice such as e-learning, distance learning, flexible learning, instructor led training and use of web-based materials to supplement classroom based learning. The policy outlines the minimum requirements that Centralia expects should be met by the Approved and Partnership Centres when delivering the provision. This policy will be reviewed annually due to the rapid changes in E-Learning and Distance Assessment.


Approved and Partnership Centres should ensure students have access to:

  • Information that sets out the respective responsibilities of the Centre for the delivery of the Unit(s) or element(s) of study;
  • Unit descriptors to show the intended learning outcomes and teaching, learning and assessment of the unit(s);
  • A clear schedule for the delivery of their study materials and assessment of their work. Approved and Partnership Centres should ensure that students can be confident that:
    • Study materials, whether delivered through staff of a Centre (Approved and Partnership), another presenter or through web-based or other distribution channels, meet the expectations of Centralia in respect of the quality of teaching and learning support material for a programme or element of study leading to one of its awards;
    • The provision is subject to an Annual Monitoring and Five Yearly Review.

Learner Support

Prospective students should receive a clear and realistic explanation of the expectations placed upon them for study of the programme or elements of study, and for the nature and extent of autonomous, collaborative and supported aspects of learning.

Students should have access to:

  • A schedule for any learner support available to them through timetabled activities, for example tutorial sessions or web-based conferences;
  • Clear and up to date information about the learning support available to them locally and remotely for their programme or element of study;
  • Documents that set out their own responsibilities as learners, and the commitments of Centralia and the Partnership Centres for the support of a programme or element of study. Students should have:
  • From the outset of their study, an identified contact, either local or remote through email, telephone, fax or post, who can give them constructive feedback on academic performance and authoritative guidance on their academic progression;
  • Where appropriate, regular opportunities for inter-learner discussions about the programme, both to facilitate collaborative learning and to provide a basis for facilitating their participation in the quality assurance of the programme;
  • Appropriate opportunities to give formal feedback on their experience of the programme. Approved and Partnership Centres should ensure that students can be confident that:
    • Staff and support providers on these programmes have appropriate skills and receive appropriate training and development;
    • Support for learners, whether delivered through staff or a support provider or through web-based or other distribution channels, meets the expectations of Centralia for the quality of learner support for a programme of study leading to one of its awards.

Assessment of students

Students should have access to:

  • Information on the ways in which their achievements will be judged, and the relative weighting of units or elements of the programme in respect of assessment overall;
  • Timely formative assessment on their academic performance to provide a basis for individual constructive feedback and guidance, and to illustrate the awarding institution's expectations for summative assessment.Approved and Partnership Centres should ensure that students can be confident that:
    • Those with responsibility for assessment are capable of confirming that a student's assessed work is the original work of that student only, particularly in cases where the assessment is conducted through remote methods.

The Virtual Learning Environment Delivery System

Centralia would expect that Partnership Centres assume responsibility for ensuring their delivery systems adhere to the following guidelines:

Delivery – Students should be confident that:

  • Any programme or element offered for study has had the reliability of its delivery system tested, and that contingency plans would come into operation in the event of the failure of the designed modes of delivery;
  • The delivery system of the programme or element of study delivered through e-learning methods is fit for its purpose, and has an appropriate availability and life expectancy;
  • The delivery of any study materials direct to students remotely through, for example, e-learning methods or correspondence, is secure and reliable, and that there is a means of confirming its safe receipt.Assessment of students – Students should be confident that:
  • Their assessed work is properly attributed to them, particularly in cases where the assessment is conducted through remote methods that might be vulnerable to interception or other interference;
  • Any mechanisms, such as web-based methods or correspondence, for the transfer of their work directly to assessors, are secure and reliable, and that there is a means of proving or confirming the safe receipt of their work.


Can I bridge from one level to another? From Level 3 to Level 5?

Unfortunately the answer is no.   

Levels show you the complexity of a subject and good comparisons are that Level 3 = AS/A levels and Level 5 = Years 1 + 2 of a First Degree and you cannot bridge from A level to Degree because you begin a completely new course and the way you learn and the work you have to produce is different.   The same applies with Level 3 and Level 5 and a learner has to complete all of the level 5 assessments to achieve the qualification.

I want to study reflexology at University, is the level 5 course a University course?

The Level 5 Diploma in Practitioner Reflexology qualification can be taught at University, but it is not a degree course although its complexity and difficulty is equivalent to years 1 + 2 of a First Degree course.   Some Universities offer reflexology training in two ways: 
1) As part of a degree or
2) As a 'stand alone' therapy (in other words you only study the subjects around reflexology training).   

University reflexology courses may have an Awarding Organisation, but if they do then they will only be at Level 3 in which case this is too low a level to be taught as part of a degree.  If there is no Awarding Organisation and it is option 2) then the likliehood is that the training is completely unregulated and not a formal qualification.  However, if reflexology is taught within option 1)  The reflexology is still unregulated, but it does form a part of the overall degree as a qualification.  If a University wanted to offer a regulated Level 5 reflexology qualification, they would have to apply to be a Centralia Centre and have to prove their suitability to deliver at Level 5.   

To the best of our knowledge, there is no organisation that Quality Assures or Standardises the provision of reflexology training in UK universities.

Is Level 5 training better than Level 3?

What level you train at is nothing to do with whether it is 'better' or not!   Levels denote the complexity of achieving the qualification, but not everyone wants to study at a University and not everyone wants to study at level 5.   Level 5 is more difficult, although the subject area - reflexology - is the same.   There are Level Descriptors' on Awarding Organisations websites which will help you decide the level you think you would most enjoy studying at. 

I studied at Level 3 some years ago, should I now do a level 5 qualification?

This is a tricky question and therefore difficult to answer as so much depends on individual circumstances!   

For example:   Gregor and Elaine qualified in 2007 on a Level 3 Diploma.  Gregor started a private practice straight away, seeing a minimum of 6 clients every day for 3 days per week and 1 day per week, he works for a palliative care charity giving a peripatetic reflexology service in a 20 mile radius.  1 day per month has been dedicated to furthering his knowledge in reflexology and he regularly studies new research into all CAM's.   Elaine on the other hand, treats her friends and family on an informal basis and has attended two, one day CPD courses.   One of these Practitioners may really benefit from learning at Level 5, whilst the other may justifiably feel that they have continued their learning, long after qualifying, with little to be gained from studying at Level 5!

What is the difference between a membership organisation and an awarding organisation?

A membership organisation takes the responsibility of providing insurance cover for their members and often at a very reasonable rate.   They keep up to date with what is happening in the world of reflexology and pass that information on to their members.  They usually provide a media platform so that their members can 'socialise' with one another and share information.   They may have departments called training and/or education, but they are nothing to do with the regulation or development of reflexology qualifications.   They may advertise Schools/Colleges/Universities, but they have no role in regulating/quality assuring or standardising anything to do with reflexology qualifications - advertising role only!    Membership organisations often advertise CPD courses (sometimes their own, sometimes external providers).   Sadly CPD provision is still for the greater part, without any regulation or standards. 

Awarding Organisations are responsible for the development, delivery and regulation of all formal qualifications and if you have a Level 3 Diploma you will also have an Awarding Organisation certificate as proof that it is a formal qualification.   

Is my CPD recognised as a qualification?

There is very little CPD that is a regulated, formal qualification.   If you have a CPD certificate from an Awarding Organisation then it is a formal qualification with unit/s and credits.   Anything else is just pot luck and being Accredited or Validated by a membership organisation means nothing other than they have given a thumbs up to the training product and even if a training provider has to initially outline what they are intending to teach, sadly there is no guarantee of content or standard or quality assurance.


                                                              AGOREDCYMRULOGOSmall JPEG Route to Full membership logo white backgroundlogo FULL MEMBER 2018 small