Learn about Centralia and what being a Centralia Partner Centre means.
First a potted history!
The word 'partner' is an important one. In the past reflexology trainers did not have a real opportunity to share their knowledge or their expertise with one another - there were good membership organisations and then Awarding Organisations, but none were able to facilitate this aspect. When learning became unit and credit based (end 2010) the authority for training and education was removed from our Membership/Professional Organisations and was given to Awarding Organisations/Bodies.
It was at this time (2011) that Centralia was born. Centralia became a Recognised Centre for Agored Cymru - an Awarding Orgnaisation and a suite of reflexology units under the QALL pillar of learning were developed. Inspira Academy then taught two UK Level 5 courses to pilot the training and it was a huge success. In the meantime, other training centres were delivering the 'new' Level 3 Diploma in Reflexology, but many were unhappy with what they had to teach, especially as out of 7 units, only one was specific to reflexology. All subjects were specific to reflexology in the new Level 5 qualification! Centralia were approached as others became excited in being able to teach at Level 5, particularly as having the opportunity to re-write and develop the reflexology units, it had been possible to make huge improvements, but also to recognise and avoid mistakes made by other reflexology qualifications previously. Inspira Academy had worked with several Awarding Organisations in the previous years, but nothing had prepared them for Agored Cymru! Agored Cymru from the outset were pro-active and supportive, offering training courses, giving us a dedicated Centre Officer, who was and is, available to help and answer queries. If Agored Cyrmru ask Centralia to develop in some way, it is always for our benefit and if Centralia want to develop they are always 100% supportive. Agored Cymru even put a foot logo onto the Qualification Guide without us asking! Their dedication to providing qualifications across broad spectres is unique.
In 2012 the first Centralia Partner Centres were born and the first meeting was held in a rugby club in South Wales and for some it was the first time they had ventured across the Severn bridge, but it certainly was not the last! As a group of reflexology teachers who were all dedicated to passing on our knowledge, it felt that we were being given a new chance, a new beginning after the educational and training chaos of the previous couple of years within Level 3 Diplomas and with the onset of unsrupulous online or very short training programmes. Once again we were able to avoid mistakes made previously and recognised the need to all work together, all take ownership of what and how we teach and for the first time ever, we were all happy to share our expertise and knowledge with one another for the benefit of our students. Centralia Partner Centres continue to meet every year in the springtime, when we have a 2 day midweek conference where we discuss the qualification and ways to continue to develop and provide the most exceptional reflexology training in the UK.
Centralia and the Centres continue to thrive and although there are 'rules' to follow as a Centre the ethos of being a co-operative is paramount as we move forward together.
In June of 2016 the units were reviewed and renamed as the Level 5 Diploma in Practitioner Reflexology qualification. Then in 2018 they had another overhaul and became 'Holistic' units, which were more in line with the vocational and practical aspects of what and how we teach! After a very potted history of Centralia, here are the brief details of what being a Centralia Partner Centre (CPC) entails: In 2020, yet another boost from Agored Cymru as together with Centralia a new Qualification Guide is prepared so that the Level 5 Diploma in Practitioner Reflexology could also be on the Framework of Ofqual as well as Qualifications Wales.
- Each CC has to agree to sign a Memorandum of Understanding which includes:
- Teaching 'face to face' a minimum of 160 hours - the qualification has 79 credits which equates to 790 hours to complete the qualification. 160 of these 790 hours must be class based with a tutor (Terminology is Guided Learning Hours (GLH) = 160 and Total Qualification Time (TQT) = 790)
- Every CPC agrees to the same minimum fee for the training course and this is reviewed each year
- We meet annually to review our qualification and its content and share best practice
- Tutors must have teaching qualifications equivalent to a level 5 and must have a track record of practical experience
- Each of the five units has Centralia Base Guidance Notes to ensure that all CPC's deliver a standardised syllabus, not to be confused with prescriptive teaching as all CPC's have the autonomy to deliver in the way that best suits them
- Every unit has assessments that must be passed by every learner to achieve the qualification. This ensures standardisation of both practical and theoretical expertise
- Centralia Partner Centres internally verify both delivery and assessing of the qualification. The Centralia Internal Auditor will visit every CPC in the early years and then after consecutive successful visits, this can be conducted remotely. A 'Learners Voice' takes place regardless of whether it is an actual or a remove visit. Evidence of assessment from every learner and from every assessment is undertaken for every visit. We are all very passionate about the need to retain extremely high standards and welcome these visits as they are seen as an opportunity to develop and excel.
- Agored Cymru make an External annual visit to Centralia and they check all policies and procedures and also a random sample of the Internally Audited assessments
- NeuroEndoPsychoImmunoPody (NEPIP) is taught as a Centralia technique to ensure equality of practical provision to all learners
Becoming a Centralia Centre
After you make contact with Centralia and provide details of your own qualifications, we will discuss where it is you want to set up your Centre as we have a general rule of 30 miles between CPC's unless in a highly populated urban area, in which case there can be multiple CPC's. After the preliminary's, you will then be invited to attend a two day Induction training programme. Agored Cymru agreed that it would be of benefit to certificate this training, and a new unit for 'Level 5 Reflexology Train the Trainer' was developed for use from 2021. All aspects of the unit content is covered, including NEPIP, together with instruction on administrative procedures, as well as the day to day requirements of running a Centralia Partner Centre that delivers the Agored Cymru Level 5 Diploma in Practitioner Reflexology. The fee is currently £1,500.00 and includes training manuals and USB for NEPIP, the 2 day training, certification and all subsequent unlimited support thereafter.
Are you interested?
Please have a look at the map on this website that shows where existing Centralia Partner Centres are located and if you think you can fill a geographical gap or a population gap, please get in touch by telephone or email and we will look forward to discussing your exciting new venture ...