Internal Verification is a process in which assessment practices and decisions are regularly sampled and evaluated and findings are acted upon to ensure consistency and fairness.
The Internal Verification system ensures:
- A forum for discussion of borderline cases
- Reduction in level of direct External Verification scrutiny
- Valid, reliable and consistent Award of Credit
- Recorded assessment decisions which are appropriate, consistent, fair, transparent and equitable
- Clarity for learners about assessment requirements
- Effective preparation and presentation for External Verification
- Regular review of the programme
- Tutor networking and sharing of good practice
- Centralia and its Partnership Centres will ensure that it standardises its assessments to ensure that all learners will be evaluated to the same standard.
To implement the above, Centralia and its Partnership Centres will ensure a rigorous Internal Verification process is in place
The Internal Verification Process
The tutor will assess the learners' work and record their assessment decisions on the appropriate forms. There will be a standardisation meeting at the beginning of the year to ensure that all tutors are clear about assessment requirements. Tutors will all use the same assessment task sheets to record achievement. The Internal Verifier will sample assessed work to ensure that all of the criteria in the units are being met and the workload for learners is appropriate to the level and credit value of the unit.
The Internal Verifier will liaise with the External Verifier, where appropriate, regarding dates for visiting the centres, samples required and meeting with tutors and learners. Internal Verification paperwork will be completed prior to the External Verifier's visit.
All tutors will be provided with assessment guidance and a copy of Internal Verification paperwork. Each assessment will have a minimum of three (3) learners work internally verified, or square-root of the cohort, as appropriate. If there are fewer than five learners on the course, all learners' work will be sampled.
A Centralia Internal Verification Form will record the original mark and the following will also be documented:
- If the Internal Verifier agrees with the original mark and/or outcome and
- If not, then the form will detail the new mark and/or outcome
- A discussion will then take place between the original marker and the Internal Verifier to determine the discrepancy.
- The mark and/or outcome will then be recorded as the final result.
- Both parties must sign the Internal Verification Form.
- The Internal Verifier will sample abroad range of work. Criteria for all assessments will carry a Fail/
- Pass/Merit or Distinction grading if available, a sample of each grade or an element of random selection should be Internally Verified.
- If an Internal Verifier requests further samples, then these will be made available.
- A review of learning outcomes will beheld regularly.
- Internal Verifiers will be suitably experienced and/or qualified.
- Internal Verification tutors will at no time check their own assessment decisions.
- If discrepancies in assessment outcomes occur regularly, then this should be discussed and further training provided on Internal Verification to ALL tutors.
All aspects of the course will be considered over time if not at each Internal Verification activity. Factors to be considered are:
- Sites of delivery
- Tutors experience and/or qualification and training standards
- Number of units
- Delivery methods
- Previous Internal Verification recommendations
- Assessment methods
- Special arrangements
- External Verification recommendations
- Borderline cases
- Unit level
Students sample work for Internal Verification should be kept securely and safely. The Internal Verifier will select samples from these. The Internal Verifier will provide feedback to the tutor/marker on the outcome of Internal Verification. The tutor/marker will follow up any action points identified.
All Internal Verification records will be made available to the External Verifier.
The Internal Verification process will be reviewed at the end of the year and any changes/recommendations will be recorded.